by James Anderson | Last Updated on June 3, 2022
Tube Notchers make it invariably easy to cut and sharpen metal tubes before joining the tubes by welding. Welders use tube notchers to connect the joints and seal the tube or pipe joints in place. The weldment is the glue that sticks the two tubes together. Whether tube notching is your career or just starting in the field, chances are high you will be overwhelmed by all the choices for tube notchers out there. Fortunately, we are here to help with your buying decision by providing a list of the best tube notchers.
We have sifted through the internet, read hundreds of reviews, and checked dozens of product specs to find the ideal tube notcher that has the best value for your money. Read on to find the top-notch tube notcher for you!
Reviews of The 7 Best Tube Notchers
Finding the perfect tool can be challenging, so let us take the trouble for you. Please go through our tube notcher reviews thoroughly to find your perfect pick. Keep your budget and convenience in mind.
1. Jeremywell Industrial Professional Pipe & Tube Notcher Punch and Press Tool- Top Overall Pick
Jeremywell Industrial Professional Pipe & Tube Notcher is our premium choice for the best tube notcher. It has truly amazed us with its many features within an affordable price point.
This machine is the ultimate pipe cutter as it can carve 3/4 to 3-inchSeveral factors contribute tubing and can be adjusted up to 50 degrees. This industry-level product’s quality is unparalleled, and it offers versatile functions that make it fit for multiple uses.
- It is built for ¾ to 3-inch tubing with Solid Steel Construction.
- It is a professional standard machine that accepts standard hole saws.
- The suitable drill for this product is ½ inch.
- It comes with a hardened and ground spindle, which is stout and reliable.
- The thread adapter is UNF5/8-18 on the inside and UNF1/2-20 on the outside.
- The diameter of the shaft is 1 inch.
- It can be mounted to a benchtop or clamped in a bench vise.
2. Kaka PN-1/2S Hole Saw Pipe tube Notcher- Best Value
Kaka PN-1/2S tube notcher could have been our top pick given the product’s reasonable price, high quality combined with the company’s claim of fast shipment and lifetime warranty.
Designed for difficult jobs, it will make all your projects easy to execute with its adaptability to any surface and its flexibility, which will allow you to move around and work from any direction.
- This tubing notcher makes seamless joints for clean and firm welds and round cuts in pipes and various shapes.
- The angle precision setting of the tube notcher ranges from 0 to 60 degrees in 1-degree increments.
- It is to be used with an electric drill or drill press.
- It comes with adjustable mounting brackets.
- It can be used with ½ inch chuck, and the pipe tube notcher’s performance extent is a maximum of 2 inches.
- A tube notcher is made of the sturdy steel frame.
3. Baileigh TN-250 Tube Notcher- Premium Choice
Bailegh Industrial is a brand widely known for producing top quality tools, and its TN-250 Tube notcher is nothing short of perfection. This product is costly, but it has a unique self-center ability, which makes it an ideal machine for beginners.
You can clamp down on tubes, including the middle of a bend with this tube notcher, and due to its positioning, you can notch pipes and tubes of any size without any issue.
- This tubing notcher is bench or vise mounted
- The patented self-centering vise can clamp anywhere on the tube and even on bends.
- The tube notcher is capable of notching from 2 to ½ inch outside diameter.
- It allows a tremendous amount of flexibility in degree angles.
- The fully adjustable axis accommodates nearly any notch combination, keeping in mind the pivot, which moves from left to right up to 230 degrees.
- This tubing notcher is to be used with a ½ inch drill, and its spindle is 1 to ¼ inch.
4. Allstar Performance ALL10411 Tubing Notcher
Allstar Performance ALL10411 Tubing Notcher is an amazing tube notcher because of its ability to render accurate joints for consistent welds and sturdier roll cages.
The best part about this device is that it comes in two different making- the deluxe aluminum version and the economy steel version. It offers versatility and easy operability without burning a hole in your pocket.
- Economy steel notcher works on diameter stock up to 2 inches.
- The tube notcher aligns automatically and centers tubing.
- It can be used with a drill press or with a hand drill.
- Notchers can be adjusted to a maximum of 45 degrees.
- It comes with a ½-20 inch arbor thread and a ⅝-18 inch adapter.
- Hole saw works from 1 to 1/8 inch; diameter takes up ½-20 inch.
- The larger hole saws operate on the 5/8-18 inch thread.
5. Kaka PN-1/2A Aluminium Frame Pipe and Tube Notcher
Kaka industrial’s fantastic invention Kaka PN- 1/2A, is on par with the company’s vision of delivering great value for money. With its adaptable base, the device can be easily mounted on drill presses.
This tube notcher is the perfect choice for fabricating a roll cage, mini bike frame, cart frame, or any DIY home project. It establishes an ideal link for secure and clean weldings.
- The maximum capacity of the notcher is 2 inches round tube.
- The compound angle can be adjusted up to 45 degrees in 1-degree increments.
- It adopts ½ inch’ and ⅝ inch threaded arbor hole saws.
- It is built of an Aluminum Frame and contains easy to read Angle Scales.
- It comes with a strong and adaptable base that makes it versatile, which means you can rotate and swivel the base flawlessly without any hassle.
- It makes faultless joints for clean and secure welds.
6. Heck Sppipenotch Pipe and Tube Notcher, Hole Saw
If you are on the hunt for a tube notcher that is consistent in providing the highest quality with precise carving techniques, you can surely go for Heck Pipe and Tube Notcher. What is unique about this product is that it offers continuous customer support to help the customers with their skilled representatives.
Whether you like precise finishing or messy, this machine is the one for you!
- The working capacity of this tube notcher is a maximum of 40 hours.
- It uses hole saws to build notches in pipes and tubes for roll cages and frame building.
- This tube notcher uses a blade hole saw, and the blade hole saw comes with the product.
- The optimum notching capability of the tube notcher is 2 inches.
- The ram of the hole saw and the tube notcher works manually.
- It joints a tube that is connected and offers a simple way to adjust.
7. KAKA RA-1 Manual Tube Notcher, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” Light Weight, High Precision Tubing Notcher
Are you looking for that perfect notcher that you can trust with your eyes closed? Then we have just the product for you. Kaka Ra-1 is an industrial-level tube notcher that guarantees flawless and high precision notching.
This device’s easy operation makes it a perfect candidate for beginners, and its high durability has earned its fans all over the world.
- The tube notcher has a maximum thickness of up to ⅛ inch.
- Kaka manual notcher is made for working with pipe sizes of 1/4-inches, 3/8-inches, and 1/2- inches.
- This tube notcher is versatile and can be handled horizontally and vertically, which will eventually improve your project’s flexibility.
- This 90-degree tool allows maximum degree to operate, which largely guarantees the accuracy required for flawless notching execution.
- It is used for arc port cutting and is an easy option for jointing.
Things you should keep in mind before picking a tube notcher
As the market is overflowing with tube notchers and new ones are being launched every day, it is going to be difficult to find the perfect tube notcher. But do not worry because we are here to make your decision easier!
You might think, what are the requirements of being the best tube notcher?
Tube notchers all serve the same purpose, but they are complicated tools that come with a handful of features. Several factors contribute to a tube notcher being attributed as the best tube notcher. This includes operability, angle adjustability, durability, longevity, power capacity, height, weight, length, and a bunch of other aspects.
The first and foremost consideration while choosing a notcher is you have to know what material you are going to cut with the notcher. Based on your requirements, you can get a machine that cuts your metal size best, or you can get a machine that cuts a variety of sizes. We suggest you go for machines that can expand and be tightened up a notch by notch. Your ideal option is a notcher that can make holes between ¼ inch to 2 and a half ½ inch tubes.
Notchers offer two types of holding- you can either hold the device in your hands or mount it on a drill press. In our opinion, drill presses are a better option because they save your energy and time.
Look for a notcher with segmented teeth that keeps the amount of debris and heat created in check. Otherwise, if the machine overheats during working, you will have to wait around for it to cool off.
Need for Water:
Some notchers need water input to maintain the heat when working, while others have no such requirements. We suggest you go for the ones with fewer water requirements so that the pace of your work stays uninterrupted.
Notching angle Check:
Different companies offer notchers that allow notching to a certain degree. Most of the popular tube notch offers a cutting edge of 0 to 45 degrees accompanied with easy to read angle scale, and that is our recommended degree of notching as well.
If the notcher has a backing plate, then mishaps like warping and shredding of threads can be minimalized to a great extent.
Durable Construction: The ideal notcher is built with durable components that help the machine work on any surface. These components make the machine function with the same ease in every environment. Also, sturdy components ensure the product sustains for a long period of time.
Ease of Use:
Industrial level tube notchers cannot be operated by just about anyone. They need years of experience and tons of precautions. So if you are starting, do not go for the flashy, high-specification products. Instead, look for tube notchers that are comfortable to use and come with simple functionalities and elaborate user manuals.
Thin Tube notchers weigh less, and those are the ones you should target. Lightweight and portable tools make it easier to carry out your work. You can carry around the notchers and execute projects wherever you want. But if you are a professional, you can consider the thick tube notchers because industrial-level machines weigh more because of their sturdy components.
Just because tube notches are complex machines does not mean you have to splurge a lot, nor does the most expensive gadget always ensure the best performance. If you are a novice, start by buying the most affordable product that offers the maximum functions.
After Sales Services:
We recommend you buy products from popular brands to ensure those products have spare parts in the market. Since machines are prone to malfunctioning, keeping backup will save you from uncertainties. Warranty cards will also help you in this regard, and you should look for products that come with two or more years of warranty.
Tips and Reminders for Tube Notching Enthusiasts:
- Tube notching is a dangerous task when you consider all the heated and sharp elements involved in the process. Keeping that in mind, to prevent any injury, you should always remember to wear safety gear. Full sleeved pants and shoes, leather shoes, special helmets, gloves, and eye protection will guarantee fewer chances of accidents at the worksite.
- Keep the environment clean and dedicated to cut tubes. If there are other activities in the background, you might lose your focus and cause imperfect outcomes.
- Keep children away from the workplace.
- Keep the notching materials clean to ensure flawless and smooth performance.
- Exercise maximum precaution while adjusting the angles because a slight mishandling can cause the materials to flip.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: What is a tube notcher?
Tube notcher is the equipment needed for making fish mouth shape in tube ends before inserting the tubes. It works in conjunction with an electric drill or drill press to create round cuts in pipes and tubing at angles up to 60 degrees. The tubing notcher works with round cutters, hole saws, and milling bits.
Q: What are tube notchers used for?
Tube notchers serve a variety of purposes. They can be used for Diy projects and home uses, but they are mostly used to combine round tubes or pipes for building roll cages, handrails, furniture, gates, and plumbing projects. They are also extensively used in automobile industries for joining car pipes and also in assembling bicycle parts.
Q: Why welders should use it?
Welders use tube notching to weld the joint together. After inserting the notched tube into the other tube, welders use tig welding or brazing to seal the joint in place.
Q: How to use a tube notcher?
The process of using a tube notcher is relatively easy. If your angle is less than 45 degrees when you start notching your tube, you want to cut the tube moderately bigger than what you actually want. If the angle is greater than 45 degrees, cut the tube accurately to the length that you wish.
Position your notcher to the angle you wish to cut. Then place the tube into the notcher in a way that the centerline is shown at the top. This will ensure your tube is situated at a 90-degree angle to the center of your hole saw.
Make your notch in your tubing. Remember to take off your snap collar or move it out of the way before cutting.
Q: Are there specific blades for notching?
No, there are not special blades made solely for notching. Almost all the circular saw blades are compatible with notching. But since notching is heavy-duty work, you need to make sure that the blades are premium quality and comes with heat resistant features. For example, diamond edge blades are good notching options because they offer minimal friction and keep everything running steadily with no trouble.
Q: Are there special drills for tube notching?
No, almost all the available drills in the market are compatible with tube notching. However, it is wise to choose drills that are powerful, well-built and can run for long periods of time without hitting a bump or fluctuating in energy.
Our guide aimed to familiarize you with the tube notching process and provide you with a list of the Best Tube Notchers. We have presented different products with different price tags and specifications to help you decide which machine serves your purpose better.
In our opinion, Jeremywell Industrial Professional Pipe & Tube Notcher is the best tube notcher under $300. At an affordable price, it offers versatile features while also ensuring industry-level precision. It is easy to operate and carry around. We also loved the Kaka PN-1/2S Hole Saw Pipe tube Notcher because it offers more degrees to work within a smaller budget.
Finding the best tube notcher is a precondition for perfect welding. Tube notching may seem difficult and daunting at first, but with the right tools, it can be a pretty simple and fun activity, and we certainly hope our guide has given you the help you were looking for!
- Stud welder reviews
- Battery spot welder reviews
Hi, I am James Anderson from Sandy, Utah. Welding has always been part of my life and I love to share my wealth of experience. I have a team of professionals who are knowledgeable about different welding processes. I hope you will be educated and informed on this website, to become better welders.