Last Updated on May 7, 2021
Home welders can come in handy when something breaks, damages, or needs to get “band-aid” for the time being until you get a professional hand.
Getting your own home welder can be useful as it can save you some bucks. Not just it saves your precious time, it allows beginner welders to learn new skills or upgrade their existing abilities to work professionally.
A good home welder can turn out to be a profitable investment considering the time and extra buck it costs to call a professional or hire a new welder. However, not every welder might suit your homes and work for you exactly the way you want.
With our top reviewed home welders and buyers’ guidelines, you will know some of the well-built, impressive, best home use welders that will make your investment worth it.
Reviews of the 10 Best Welders for Home Use
1. Hobart Handler 140 – Best Home MIG Welder
One of the strongest, extremely versatile, out-and-out welders for home projects, general maintenance, farm activities, DIY, and much more is – Hobart Handler 140 MIG welder. With this MIG welder, start your favorite projects, undone tasks, garage works all by your own with its extremely easy-to-use features. According to our research, Hobart makes it to the best welder for home use category.
The welder comes with a 20% duty cycle at 90 Amps and applies to various work-pieces including stainless steel, mild steel, and aluminum. Moreover, this welder provides enhanced flexibility by integrating unique voltage selections and wire feed speeds. The amperage range is 25-140 A, giving you more controls and accessibilities.
- Hobart Handle MIG welder is a more than adequate welder for beginners, home-welders, enthusiasts, and light industrial project dealers. The unit is powerful enough to deal overhaul and fix up home essentials.
- The heavy-duty clamp and cast aluminum drive arrangement ensures smooth, textured arc on materials of diverse diameters
- Hobart weld can effortlessly weld up to ¼ inches on standard house outlets. The unit also comes with a contact tip, power cord, 10 feet MIG gun and work cable, gas regulator, and hose.
2. Forney 261 140 FC-i MIG Welder – Best Value
Dealing with all your at-home projects is now more affordable with Forney MIG welder. The welder is super fun to set-up and adjustments are infinitely variable between the lowest and highest setting options. The wire feeds are smooth, welding is like a breeze with an amperage rating of 32 to 140.
What’s more is the portability of the welder that allows you to take out your welder on the road-side or maybe at a neighbor’s abode really quick. Forney built-quality is top-notch, so proper care can make it last for years. Also, this inexpensive welder can handle up to ¼ inches with a lot more power which is why we rate this welder as our best budget-friendly welder.
- For home use, this is an easy-to-operate welder with no extra hassles. All you have to do is set the voltage and the wire speed and weld away. No worries regarding starting or maintaining the arc as the unit includes a dedicated wire speed control it.
- It comes preconfigured to run .030” wire and operates on 110v household outlets.
- Forney MIG welder includes numerous dial adjustment for both the voltage and wire feed speed controls which allows fine-tune selection.
- The unit comes with all the essentials including a ground clamp, gun, 20A-15A adapter, and this little unit applies to any kind of light to medium house works.
3. AHP Alpha 200X – Best Home Tig/Stick Welder
Working with versatile projects frequently? AHP Alpha 200X Tig/Stick welder is at your service with more flexibility and versatility to accomplish different projects with only one welder. Having two or more welders can get messy and getting a hold of each welder technicalities might be troublesome. A multi-purpose welder like the AHP AlphaTIG welder can be the ultimate savior of your career.
A wide range of welding opportunities starts knocking at your door with this welder that offers both the capabilities of Tig and Stick welding. Not just this welder is famous for its quality finish, the dual voltage makes this welder a popular choice of professionals too. Also, we add this welder as our best TIG welder for home choice of this review.
- Welding ¼” aluminum and 3/8” steel is smooth as butter. For the money and performance, this tool is hard to beat.
- Offers double advantages with both Tig and Stick features and dual voltage proficiency. The hertz of AC is fully adjustable which is spot on.
- The unit includes a foot pedal for better TIG welding. Though the unit is heavy compared to other reviewed welders, but the advantages outweigh this limitation.
4. EVERLAST Power ARC 140ST Lift Start Home Stick/TIG Welder
Shake things up at your house with EVERLAST Stick/TIG welder. If you are looking for maximum flexibility and solid, smooth performance in a compact design, EVERLAST constantly delivers high-quality outcomes. This little welder comes in its own case allowing you to work both on TIG and Stick welding. Stick welders offer additional benefit to users enabling them to weld in windy, rainy backyards.
What we mostly prefer about EVERLAST 140ST welder, it offers dual-voltage capabilities which means you can either go for 120V or 240V. Welding gets easier anywhere with no extra strains.
- For a welder, who is keen to learn basic Stick welding at home, EVERLAST is a great unit to commence and undoubtedly one of the best Stick welders for home use.
- Achieve stronger, remarkably smooth welds at a 35%duty cycle. What more is, this unit has very low power consumption which restricts utility bills from rising sky-high.
- A fantastic value welder with amazingly powerful welding capabilities. EVERLAST 140ST features auto-adaptive hot start and arc force control that allow perfect welding in tight spots and complicated situations.
5. Super Deal PRO MIG 130 Welder
Presenting you with a premium welder in town which is loved by many for its comfortability, powerfulness, and intuitive- Super Deal MIG welder. The user-friendly interface, advanced features, and overwhelming potency make this the best bet for home use.
Compared to other similar welders, this affordable, top-notch welder is undoubtedly one of the best welders for home use. The specialty that makes this welder so suitable for home use, is the glass-clear automatic control panel, accessible displays, and the limitless temperature controls and wire feed speed settings. Moreover, the cooling fan adds an additional benefit by preventing overload and excessive heat exhaustion.
- Super Deal Pro is reasonably priced compared to all the benefits it provides. This compact welder is a perfect fit for home use or entry-level welders as for the easy operations, high precision, and good performance it accomplishes.
- Our favorite part of the machine is the variable amperage and current flow settings which bring diversity in welding tactics. The machine is all set to use as it comes with all necessary accessories.
- The unit weighs only 38 lb. and has a duty cycle of 10% to 35%. The additional safety features make Super Deal Pro a great choice as a home welder.
6. Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Home Multi-Process Welder
Are you a multi-tasker and often weld in a variety of processes? If so, 2020 Weldpro Multi-process welder is designed for multiple welding opportunities. This space-saving unit is capable of MIG, TIG, and Stick welding all in one tool. The welder is light in weight due to the IGBT inverter technology that enables to shift from one room to another at your place with complete ease.
Our favorite part of the welder is the automatically adjustable voltage with the wire speed. The user-friendly digital displays enable to quickly set-up the amperage. Also, the welder is great for welding aluminum for the spool gun capability feature. This multiprocessor welder is a great tool for home shops and beats the most expensive welders with its potentialities.
- This multi-process welder is a unique addition to your home shops, garage, hardware, and other factories. Not just this welder has multi-functionalities, it is a dual voltage welder which supports 110v/240 voltages.
- 2020 Weldpro has a 20% duty cycle at the maximum 200-amp output. The welder is mostly suitable for beginners and comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Necessary welding accessories such as MIG gun, ground clamp, TIG gun, flow meter, and spool gun are included in the package.
7. Lincoln Electric K2278 Handy Core MIG Welder
Lincoln Electric welder is a good unit to accomplish home tasks. If you are looking for something to fix a fence, designing metal sculptures, repair your car this welder is the right tool for you in all terms.
Lincoln Electric welder is an easy to operate unit for a novice welder. The welder is not intended for heavy-duty works but operates fantastic if you want to fix something real quick. The most liked part about the welder DC output which gives a much prettier weld with relatively lesser spatter compared to other AC output tools.
- Lincoln works like lightening for basic home projects, repairs, and hobby activities. The unit is excellent for the beginner welder, lots of fun to play with, and easy to learn on.
- Welding 18 gauge to 1/8″ with ease at a rated duty cycle 20% at 70 amps. The welder is compact and light in weight so you can store it in any corner of your house or carry it wherever you go.
- The package includes work lead and ground clamp, power cable, and gun to start welding right away you receive the welder.
Things to consider before buying a home use welder
After reading our reviews, you are probably confused wondering which might work best for you as one welder excels the other. Depending on your household project, you will need a welder that serves your overall purpose excellently. The color, physical appearance, design, and price would barely help you make a perfect purchase decision. This approach might rather result in a waste of both your precious time and bucks. That is why you need to know the factors that will help you make an informed decision. To give you a closer look at the drivers that would let you weigh your options, here is a guideline pointing to the most prominent considerations.
Welding isn’t just about joining two or more metal together. There are many processes and each has its own benefits and costs for certain applications. For instance, MIG welding is the easiest process and best-suited to novice welders. It produces clean welds without any slag formation. MIG welding works well off indoors. Whereas, TIG is likely considered to be the most difficult one and requires more practice. TIG often applies to thin materials and is a steady process. On the brighter side, TIG results in stronger perfect welds and conveys more control to its user.
STICK welding doesn’t result in beautiful welds while creates a lot of spatters which need frequent cleanup. Moreover, Stick welding is good for welding outside rather than indoors. We recommend purchasing MIG welders if you are solely getting it for household activity purposes. If you are looking to upgrade your skills and work beyond, a multi-purpose would score 10 on 10.
Things will break, leak, and waiting for professionals might cost you a pretty penny. Not just handymen own welders now, many houses possess one as it comes in use anytime. With infinite controls, advanced features, and digital readouts it’s super convenient to get a hold of sudden dangers/outbreaks in the house. Also make sure the welders possess a good duty cycle, more amperage, and power to experience outstanding performance.
Runs on household outlets
Home welder machines must have the ability to run on standard household outlets. Imagine getting an expensive, powerful welder you were too excited to receive. Right after unboxing it, you come to find out it’s a 220V welder which requires a greater amperage breaker that’s unavailable in houses of your locality. Though, higher amperage breaker can save you from the loss, but why deal with so much stress? It’s better to look before you leap!
No matter how powerful, big-ticket welder you purchase, safety comes first. Get yourself all the safety equipment and ensure proper ventilation at your house or garage. If your room lacks a window, a ceiling fan would make the task. Most of our reviewed welders feature additional safety properties which include an overheat protective circuit that restricts the tool from getting too hot. Also, some welders come with a free protection mask.
Weight and Size
Some welders are too heavy which makes portability difficult. The size is huge and finding a suitable place for your welder gets burdensome. We recommend getting a small welder that’s no more than 50 pounds for easy portability. Those of you are planning to move your welder from one destination to another, consider that’s easy to put in your cart or car boot. Also, your home isn’t just a place for the machines to reside, a compact welder would create more rooms.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: What is the best beginner welder for home use?
We recommend the Hobart Handler 140 welder as one of the strongest, versatile, and easy-to-use welders for beginners. The welder works efficiently on household works.
Q: Is AC or DC welder better for household work?
DC welds result in more stable, smooth arcs, lesser spatter, and quick starts. Most types of welding are operated on DC. For more flexibility, purchasing a dual voltage welder will keep you on the safer side.
Q: Which type of welder is best-suited to home applications?
MIG is best-suited to work indoors and the easiest process to learn for novice welders. MIG can be applied to a variety of thicknesses which makes it suitable for basic home use. If you are looking to extend your welding expertise, a multi-purpose welder can fulfill your requirements.
Q: What amp is preferable for general welding?
Amp highly depends on the type of job you will probably going to do most of the time. Household traditionally has 110V outlets and so the amps are limited to 90 amps. To weld beyond, multiple passes can result in thicker welds.
We have covered everything by reviewing the best welders available in the market. You can refer to our top choice welders and buyers guide to make a purchase that works best for all your household, garage projects.
Whether it’s repairing small damage in your house or completing professional projects, a welder is always a worthy investment. Still confused about which one to invest in? Our top choice is the Hobart Handler 140 welder which puts the welder in control while completing household projects in a strike. For TIG welding EVERLAST Power ARC 140 will work best. If you are looking to save some bucks, Forney 261 MIG Welder is a quality welder at an –extremely cheap price. When shopping for a home use welder, remember to check the power, duty cycle, ease of use, and portability.