Last Updated on May 7, 2021
No matter how skillful you are in the welding business, aluminum holds a very complex and challenging process. The physical and chemical structure of aluminum requires specialized equipment, skills, and constant practice. Tons of welders promises to weld aluminum comfortably, but not all welder comes with the specification of better control and speed.
Steel and other weldable metals are much easier pieces than aluminum. As aluminum posses an extremely low melting point, welders have to be careful about burn through.
That being said, we have reviewed a list of the best welder for aluminum products and a quick-read buyer’s guide to help you weld aluminum with an appropriate welder.
1. AHP AlphaTIG 200X – Best TIG Welder for Aluminum
AHP Alpha TIG 200X is our premium top choice and rated as the best aluminum welder. The maximum amperage, latest technology, and increased flexibility made us count on this welder. This popular model is an excellent choice for TIG and Stick welding. Striking an arc is effortless and extremely easy to operate features made us fall in love with this welder.
This tool can weld ¼ inch aluminum with comfort along with different types of metal including steel and other thinner materials. Also, the stick welding property lets users upgrade their welding skills and opportunities.
- A professional quality welder that serves multiple purposes by welding different materials including aluminum, stainless, or steel. Also, this machine is powerful enough to handle difficult, professional welding jobs too.
- The Power Width Modulation (PWM) and IGBT technology provide more power and reliability to any kind of welding.
- Also, the 2018 AHP Alpha TIG 200X is a dual voltage welder meaning it offers superior performance on both 110V and 220V outlets. The tool comes with necessary TIG accessories including HF start tig and foot pedal to master welding activities.
- For the money and the performance, the 2018 AHP Alpha is a high-graded welder featuring a square wave inverter to weld aluminum products effortlessly.
2. Hobart Handler 140 – Best MIG Welder for Aluminum
If you are looking for a great welder to weld aluminum products seamlessly this Hobart Handler MIG welder is an amazing one. This exclusive welder allows you to set 5 unique voltage controls that deliver a smooth, stable arc regardless of the thicknesses of materials being welded.
The Hobart comes with a 10′ MIG gun, clamp, power cord, additional contact tips, and a spool of wire. The compact size and high efficiency make it so versatile for all your project needs. This little tool is very easy to use and set this up is a no-brainer. For light jobs and household activities, Hobart Hander is the best MIG welder for aluminum and other weldable materials.
- Hobart 140 MIG welder allows MIG and flux core welding on any conventional household current. The welding amperage range for this welder is 90 Amps at a 20% duty cycle.
- If you are looking for a great MIG welder for working on aluminum products, this is very easy to use and set up is a child’s play. Also, the tool has some great features like wider voltage selection, a cast metal feeder, and a heavier ground clamp.
- The unsurpassed quality is an excellent property that is hard to beat in this welder. The welder is easy to operate with quick-release drive roll.
3. LOTOS TIG200ACDC Aluminum Tig Welder – Best for the Money
Hands down to this affordable welder for the efficacies it provides for your money. LOTOS incorporates a square-wave inverter which ensures 100% accuracy in aluminum welding. With 80% power efficiency, this welder performs elegant, precise welds on aluminum and thinner-gauge materials. This great welder is perfect for welding enthusiasts and professionals who are seeking for industrial quality performance on aluminum in a budget-friendly welder.
What we admire about LOTOS welder is the control panel. The control panel is quite impressive with all the switches in one place. Also, the welder can perform a wide variety of tasks with the help of functions that work phenomenally.
- LOTOS TIG welder comprises of an adjustable striking arc which is suitable for acidic or basic electrode workpieces. Another distinct feature is the high-frequency hand touch control that results in spot-on welding.
- The tool is a dual-voltage welder that allows the machine to perform on both 110V and 220V outlets. The welding capacity of this welder is 6mm thick to 1/4 inch thick.
- This welder works well off on a duty cycle of 60% and the size of this unit is 28x13x17 inches which is quite compact. Also, the welder is light enough to carry around.
4. PRIMEWELD TIG225X Aluminum TIG Welder
Primeweld Tig225x welder is a premium quality welder to fulfill all your urgency to weld aluminum products. This welder is not just limited to aluminum and applies to a range of materials. Additionally, this decent welder works both on 110V and 220V outlets which compliments aluminum welding. Not just this unit performs TIG processes it is also capable of stick welding.
Primeweld Tig/Stick Welder can weld aluminum of up to ¼ inch in thickness. This welder is an inexpensive tool allowing both professionals and novices to give a try on this. It comes with all the necessary equipment needed for TIG welding and a high-quality metal foot pedal is also included with the package for ease of use.
- IGBT technology and Power width modulation ensure good penetration and smooth consistency so you can rely on this welder completely for any kind of task.
- The duty cycle of this unit is 40% and is capable of welding in 7018, 6013. What more we particularly like about this welder is the high-frequency start and precise foot control to make sure the heat is in control.
- The welder has an amperage output range of 10-225 amps and comes with a CK dense connector, CK17 flex head torch, and Superflex hose.
5. SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp Aluminum MIG Welder
SUNGOLDPOWER is an excellent machine that delivers industrial type power that welds stainless and aluminum perfectly. A selector switch is attached with the machine to conveniently switch between MIG welding to spool gun. Though the tool doesn’t come with a spool gun, a convertible current output will let you weld aluminum products competently.
The welder is a supreme welder that works well on rusty metals, farmhouse and autobody works, repair and maintenance, and other metal materials. Sungoldpower gives the user flexibility to connect on a 110V or 220V outlets. The rated duty cycle of this unit is 60% resulting in a stable, perfect arc.
- A versatile welding machine that features a gas-shielded MIG process and flux core. Activities that include aluminum welding such as for fabrication works this welder is of great use.
- Inverter technology is included in the welder that just doesn’t contribute to the light-weightiness but saves plenty of energy.
- SUNGOLDPOWER comes with a 47-inch cable with earth clamp, 118 inch MIG torch, 1-inch cable with electrode holder, and 1.5 and 16m/min adjustable wire feed.
6. Hobart EZ-TIG 165i AC/DC Aluminum TIG Welder
If you are in search of a welder that is similar to commercial duty machines, Hobart 500551 is an excellent choice for household, autobody works, DIY enthusiasts, and hobbyists. The user-friendly interface, infinite amperage controls, superior weld performance made us count this unit as one of the best tig welders for aluminum.
Hobart TIG welder weighs only 50 pounds which makes portability a lot easier from one site to another. What we love about this welder is a fan-on-demand feature that restricts dust and other particles from entering the machine. The unit can weld 22 gauge to 3/16 inches pieces smoothly. This machine is a bit complex which might turn off amateur welders. But a little practice, skill, and experience are what you need to get the best out of this aesthetically pleasant welder.
- Hobart 500551 TIG welder allows you to weld with AC and DC electric currents. Aluminum welding can be accomplished through AC output, while the DC is used for steel, copper, etc.
- Selection of material thickness and amperage is easier with a unique single-knob control. Hobart also integrates a high-frequency start to eliminate contamination.
- It has a duty cycle of 20% at 150 amps and includes a foot pedal control, regulator, torch, and ground strap.
7. LOTOS MIG140 Aluminum Gas Shielded Welder
LOTOS is a durable, industrial quality, and a good performer welder suited mainly for novice welders. It’s a versatile yet powerful welder that is appreciated by professional welders too. The tool offers great flexibility incorporating adjustable voltage control and wire feed speed on digital displayers.
Also, the unit weld flux core much better than other similar welders on metals up to ¼ inches thick. LOTOS is a great tool for aluminum pieces of 1/8 inches or thinner.
- The welder integrates an aluminum wire feed to ensure more stable and smooth welds. Moreover, the unit is enhanced with 2T which is a manual switch and 4T one is semi-automatic. The switch allows us to release fingers for a longer duration.
- LOTOS can be used for multiple practices such as welding various steel materials, aluminum, and more from 24 gauge – 3/16″ thicknesses. Also, the package includes everything to start the game.
- The latest transformer technology guarantees 100% reliability and durability. It also takes care of better safety with built-in thermal overload protection.
Things to consider before buying a welder for aluminum products:
Aluminum is quite a special sort of metal that is distinct from other pieces. So, you will need proper equipment and skills as such it requires different welding techniques. Aluminum has a lower melting point compared to steel. Moreover, as service temperature decreases, the strength of aluminum increases.
Choosing a filler metal is a critical issue in welding aluminum products. Proper filler metal selection can be done depending on the characteristics of the aluminum selection chart. In the case of aluminum welding, we suggest to clean the workpiece properly, use a stringer bead, remove the oxide layer, and monitor the temperatures frequently.
Apart from these, to let you choose a worthwhile welder, we have listed some of the prominent considerations before buying a welder for aluminum products.
MIG welding with Aluminum
Metal Inert gas welding, popularly known as MIG is a welding process where an arc is maintained between consumable electrode and work-piece. MIG is the best technique for beginners and is also a good way to weld aluminum.
Thick aluminum sheets can be welded conveniently with MIG welder whereas materials thinner than 14 gauge might require specialized pulsed MIG. If you are welding using a shielding gas, we recommend 100% argon that would be the best option for MIG welding with aluminum. A spool gun is commonly used to feed aluminum which removes the problems of birds nesting.
TIG welding with Aluminum
Tungsten Inert Gas welding is a versatile welding process that requires a lot more knowledge, techniques, and practices. However, TIG is the most popular welding technique for aluminum.
As TIG welding can prevent overheating problems, aluminum can hold the heat for more time. Though TIG welding might require some master skills, the ultimate procedure results in beautiful welds. Thinner or thicker aluminum workpieces, TIG welding applies to all. Make sure to clean your welding surface before welding aluminum for a cleaner, stronger welds. A wire brush or chemical etch process can be used to clean aluminum pieces.
Aluminum has a low melting point and this requires lower heat transfer for a longer time. Amperage settings of a welder determine the heat to be produced. We recommend buying a welder whose amperage has the sustainability of working with certain thicknesses. According to professional research, 1 amp of power is needed to melt 0.001 inches of Aluminum. Simply put, to weld a 1/8 inches of aluminum, you will require 200 amps of current.
For thinner sheets of aluminum, purchase a machine with a low amperage setting. This might be between 15-20 amps. However, amperage is highly dependent on your workpiece and its thicknesses.
The factor you should pay the most important in choosing the best welder is, duty cycle. Duty cycle refers to the time a welder can work continuously before it is turned off. A welder with a 60% duty cycle at 100 amps means that a welder can operate for 6 minutes at 100 amps without overheating. For TIG welding, a 40-60% duty cycle is recommended for most tasks.
Power outputs may vary from one welder to another. If your activities are limited to household, hobby projects 115V and 40V power input welder is more than enough. We suggest considering the amperage setting along with the power ratings for achieving the best results. Also, it is better to purchase a unit with more amps so you can readily work on small and big projects.
Price is a significant factor to consider before buying a welder. There are many welders within an affordable range whereas expensive professional-level ones too. We have listed some of our affordable welder for aluminum such as LOTOS Aluminum Tig Welder which offers exciting features within a little buck. Always keep the budget in mind to keep yourself safe from unplanned decisions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Which is the best kind of welder for Aluminum welding?
Tungsten inert gas (TIG) welding, also known as gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) is the best process for welding aluminum. This process eliminates the need for mechanical wire feeding, which is a bonus point. Also, TIG welding is cleaner than other processes that prevent aluminum from contamination.
Q: Is it difficult to weld aluminum?
It is perceived by many people that aluminum welding is difficult. But in reality, rather than difficult it’s a different welding process. Once you get a handle, it feels like a breeze.
Q: Which voltage is appropriate for welding aluminum?
AC welding provides greater advantages over DC when welding aluminum such as greater penetration and cleaner actions.
Q: What amps are required to weld aluminum?
The rule of thumb for aluminum 1 amp of power is needed to melt 0.001 inches of Aluminum. If you are welding 1⁄8 inches base material requires about 125 amps.
This wraps up our reviews on the best welder for aluminum products. We tried our utmost to keep the review list versatile and help you choose between many alternatives. Now, the perfect welder for aluminum would highly depend on your projects and needs.
According to our judgment, the top overall choice is the 2018 AHP Alpha TIG 200Xwhich is competent in welding aluminum that is up to ¼” thick and thinner pieces too. The welder has a non-contact arc start, infinite amperage controls, and square wave inverter to receive precision welds.
If you are low on budget, but willing for a powerful welder, consider LOTOS Aluminum Tig Welder. Its adjustable striking arc, HF hand touch controls, and impressive duty cycle are praiseworthy. For professionals and experienced welders, Hobart 500551 TIG Welder is a great piece to weld aluminum products.