by James Anderson | Last Updated on February 17, 2023
The welding exhaust pipe is not only the cheapest way to fix it, but it also saves the exhaust from getting damaged from unwanted rust and dirt. Changing the bolt of the automobile can be a solution but it’s not the best way to take care of your automobile and your precious time.
Welding the exhaust saves time, money, stress, and the automobile in the long run. So today we are here to suggest to you the best welders for exhaust pipe.
We have researched and found the best welders for exhaust pipe that is sure to fulfill the criteria. From low budget to high portability- there’s a welder for your exhaust in our list that will meet all your requirements.
7 Best Welder for Exhaust Pipe – Reviews
1. Lincoln Electric K2278-1 Handy Core
Who doesn’t want to get their hands on a long-lasting welder? Lincoln Electric K2278-1 Handy Core is a wire feeder welder by Lincoln Electric that’s a perfect household and garage tool for beginners. This welder does a great job welding 18 gauge to 1/8″ mild steel making it a perfect addition to your home garage or workshop. This welder is lightweight and handles light repair work better than industrial work.
Lincoln Electric K2278-1 Handy Core is the best starter welder. It comes with everything a light welder might need- gun and cable assembly, work lead, work clamp, and input power cable- all included in the packaging.
The product weighs 45 pounds and has a dimension of 8.82 x 17.99 x 12.8 inches. It has a duty cycle of 20% at 70 Amps. Has an output of 35 to 88 Amps. The wire feed speed runs from 0 to 300 inches per minute.
- Lincoln Electric K2278-1 Handy Core has dialed in wire feed that allows you to set the speed in a range from 1-10, you can go slow to learn how to weld better before you go faster with your great welding skills.
- The best feature of this welder is its integrated cold safety feature that keeps the welding wire cold until you press the button to start welding. This is a great feature for beginners. This feature also helps to avoid unwanted arcs and saves time.
- The unit features handy controls to get the job done promptly. Also, what we admire about this welder is its budget-friendly yet comes in with a handful of features.
- The welder plugs into 115V and 20amp outlets. Cold Contractor safety feature helps avoid mishaps & injuries.
2. Hobart Handler 190 Welder
Get ready to be thrilled with this powerful beast! The Hobart Handler 190 Wire Feed Welder is an extremely versatile welder for autobody works to heavier farm projects that require extra power than a regular light work welder. This is a powerful welder for performing MIG and flux-core welding.
It can weld 24 gauge to 5/16 in. steel at a stroke. The Hobart Handler 190 Wire Feed Welder weighs 68 pounds and has a dimension of 12.3 x 10.6 x 19.5 inches. It has a duty cycle of 30% at 130 amps.
- The welder is very powerful with 7 output voltage settings and dual-groove quick-change drive roll in addition to standard features. The motor protection feature can’t be overlooked.
- The unit has a built-in safety-enhancing contractor. Furthermore, it comes with short-circuit protection mechanism that prevents electric current overload.
- Hobert Handler 190 incorporates a self-resetting protection system for safe welding. It has a pre-built circuitry system that helps it operate without any kits or extra controls.
- It has a generous operating parameter to weld with less spatter and greater power. The versatile workability makes it the best MIG welder for professionals, enthusiasts, and hobbyists.
3. LOTOS TIG200ACDC
If you are looking for some amazingly featured exhaust pipe welder without breaking the bank, consider Lotos TIG 200. It is an automatic Dual Voltage / Dual Frequency welder. This machine can run directly on 220 V 50/60 Hz power or 110 V 50/60 Hz using a pigtail. This is not the cheapest TIG welder in the market but it provides good service at an affordable price.
The welder can weld stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, and other metal materials. It is capable of welding 3/8″ or 9.5mm for mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. This welder is easy to get started with no hiccups.
- The best feature of Lotos TIG2OO is it can work very well under different conditions or situation demands. The quality remains as good as in usual working conditions.
- It has an in-built square-wave inverter which makes the operation smoother and offers accurate and quality welding.
- The HF torch control and start functionalities ensure the welds are always precise and up to the mark. The unit lays down nicely on ¼ to 1/8 inches stainless steel and aluminum.
4. Miller Electric 907614 – 1 Phase
Miller Electric- 1 Phase is another awesome welder that makes it to our list. This MIG welder is an exceptional heavy-duty welder. The machine is powerful and comes with a voltage plug. Miller Electric- 1 Phase gives smooth execution with control ranging from 30 A to 230 A.
This machine can weld steel, aluminum, and steel. It has a dual voltage capacity. It has a bulb voltage of 230 volts, weighs 50 pounds, and operates effortlessly. Its duty cycle is 40% at 230 volts. It is made of aluminum and high-quality components. The machine is durable and strong. Overall, it’s a heavy-duty welder without the weight. Recommended for people that want to take welding to the next level.
- On-demand fan of Miller Electric- 1 Phase is what makes this welder stand out from the rest. The cooling fan is unnoticeable and works silently.
- It offers both Flux core and MIG welding which is a great plus. Even though this welder is tough to handle for beginner welders, it is preferred by professionals for its great workability.
- A heavy-duty welder that is not heavy itself, unlike competitors. The unit produces a well-formed weld that is smooth as butter.
5. Amico ARC-200
For welders looking for plenty of penetration with amazingly smooth welds, we recommend the Amico ARC welding machine. This is a perfect choice for beginners with no heavy workload an affordable price.
This welder weighs only 16 pounds and has a dimension of 17 x 8 x 12 inches. It has a dual voltage capacity – 115 V and 230 V. This can work with 50 Amps which is great for welding thin plates. The work holder clamp and electrode holder have a good grip.
- The best thing about the machine is, it’s super lightweight and affordable. Carrying around this welder machine is no hassle.
- The unit doesn’t require high power to get started. Hence, it can be easily connected to120 V power household power outlets.
- Amico is a marvelous machine for working in a garage. The unit welds super smooth at 80% duty cycle on 200amps.
6. DEKOPRO 110/22OV MMA Welder
DEKOPRO 110/22OV MMA Welder is a welder machine designed for home users and tool enthusiasts. This is a sturdy welder with multiple solid frames of the solid handle.
The structure is durable and easy to use and store. It has high performance fully mute fan motor. It comes with an electrode holder with strong clamping force, work clamp for clamp, and manipulate the electrode and power adapter to covert current. There’s a brush to remove debris. This item weighs 12.1 pounds and has a dimension of 16.06 x 11.18 x 6.46 inches. Overall, it’s a suitable welding machine for automobiles.
- DEKOPRO 110/22OV MMA Welder adjusts its voltage continuously to match the welding current. Its special dynamic welding characteristics control the circuit and keep the welding arc stable.
- The unit features a highly efficient fan with an instant cooling system. It comes with all the essential accessories needed to start the machine and also has a strong, durable casing for easy storage and carrying.
- The synchronous control system makes it easier to weld exhaust pipes, steel, cast iron, mild steel, and many others.
7. Everlast Power I-MIG 140E
Everlast Power I-MIG 140E is the economy line of MIG welders. But the performance of this economy-level welder is worth every penny.
Everlast Power I-MIG 140E is made of aluminum and weighs 25 pounds. The product dimension is 17 x 8 x 14 inches. It has a duty cycle of 35% at 135A/21V. It’s Amp capacity is 140 Amps. The welder comes with a 10 Ft. 15 Series MIG gun, work clamp, Ar/CO2 regulator, consumable start kit. Its standard drive rolls can feed .023″-.035″ wire diameter. This machine gives out higher amp output with a better duty cycle compared to transformer-based MIG welders.
- Our favorite part of the machine is the durable IGBT components that offer a longer lifespan.
- It’s a great entry-level welder that IS capable of 1/4-inch welding and 1/8″ mild steel. The unit is a powerhouse and has better controls to accomplish your tasks swiftly.
- It can be used with both 4″ and 8″ wire. The wire feed mechanism and solid metal drive rollers are excellent.
Buyer’s Guide: Things to Know
There are a variety of options available for welders varying in duty cycles, amperages, polarities, etc. All these available option and information is bound to make you overwhelmed if you don’t know the important criteria needed to fulfill your demands.
Since you have made up your mind to buy a welder for exhaust pipe and have found your way to this page, now we are bound to let you know the important factors to know to choose the best welder for welding exhaust pipes.
TIG or MIG
Both TIG and MIG welding procedures are used for exhaust systems depending on the thickness of the exhaust pipe. TIG welding is for thin metal exhaust pipes, on the other hand, MIG welding is for thick metal exhaust pipes.
Power Output & Power Input
Power output and power input depend on the kind of work that you want to do and how frequently you want to use the welder machine.
For any kind of light usage, a 100 Amps welder is enough. But for heavy usage, you should go for a welder with a maximum of 140 Amps. To reduce electricity costs, the power output should be higher than the power input. Generally, 12OV power is required to operate a 140 Amps welder. A welder with 110/240-volt, AC/DC, or both will provide more functionality for welding exhaust pipes.
A higher duty cycle of a welder refers to how powerful the welder is. However, welding an exhaust pipe doesn’t require a high-duty cycle. A low Amp wire feed weld or TIG weld is good to go for exhaust pipes.
Another factor that we need to think through before buying a welder is the size of the machine. Generally, the bigger machines seem to have better power and are compatible with heavy use. But, these days, there are more compact, smaller size options that are powerful and provide heavy duty.
Now let’s talk about the safety feature of the welders. Safety should always come first and the welder must come with good safety features for you to use comfortably. The welder must produce less splatter, have thermal overload protection and machine cooling features to avoid accidents.
Exhaust pipes are usually made of soft, thin metals that are sensitive to heat. So you have to make sure the welder you choose doesn’t produce too much heat. Too much heat can distort the exhaust pipe, causing it more harm than good. Some welders have the technology to control the heat. Wire feed mechanism, spool gun technology can help reduce and control the heat.
Warranty is also an important factor to consider. Some welders offer no warranty to up to 5 years of warranty. One should go for a welder that has at least one year of warranty so you can easily replace or return if you face any issue with the machine.
Finally, one should consider all the above-mentioned factors and then choose the best welder for exhaust pipe that matches his needs as well as his budget. Make sure that you don’t buy a welder that only fits your budget but is of poor quality. There are many affordable options available in the market so make sure that you go for the optimal option available at your budget range.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Is it better to weld or clamp exhaust?
Exhaust is one of the most abused parts of any automobile. It stays exposed to nature and fixing the exhaust removing the clamps or bolts can be difficult due to its exposure to dust and dirt. So, welding the exhaust is a better choice.
Q: Should I weld my exhaust?
Welding the exhaust not only makes it easier to fix, clean, and maintain, it also provides a professional finish. Welding also prevents leaks from the exhaust system. Overall, it’s the best choice.
Q: What kind of welding machine should I go for welding exhaust?
Exhaust pipes are usually pretty thin and easy to damage with the wrong kind of welder machine or techniques. MIG welding machines are mostly recommended for welding thin and light material. So, you can go for the MIG welding machine. But if the exhaust pipe is on the thicker side, you can go for the other option as well.
Q: Is welding exhaust pipe a difficult job?
Welding can be a difficult job only if you don’t concentrate enough. There are general rules to follow before welding anything. So, make sure that you follow the guidelines and stay focused as you weld. You will find the job convenient and interesting.
This wraps up our detailed discussion on the best welder for exhaust pipes. We have listed the welders based on different criteria including; duty cycle, power and workability, ease of use, usability, portability, affordable pricing, etc.
But if we have to choose only one among the 7 best welders, Lotos TIG20O is the winner. It has so many great features that its weight gets unnoticeable. This machine is pretty affordable, user-friendly, easy to start, provides quality welding, and has great safety technologies. All the above-mentioned welder has more or less of these qualities but all of these features together are hard to find in one machine. However, we believe the best welder for you will be the one that fulfills your needs the best.
Hi, I am James Anderson from Sandy, Utah. Welding has always been part of my life and I love to share my wealth of experience. I have a team of professionals who are knowledgeable about different welding processes. I hope you will be educated and informed on this website, to become better welders.